Primary care physicians should make initial referrals to our clinics. The primary care physician will likely schedule the patient appointment for one of our clinics.
If an appointment has been scheduled and you have questions or need to reschedule or cancel an appointment, you may contact us at: (919) 966-1401
Pediatric Gastroenterology appointments in N.C. Children's Hospital are located on the first floor in the Outpatient Clinics. Appointments at the N.C. Children's Specialty Clinic in Raleigh are located on the Rex Healthcare campus. Directions can be found by visiting N.C. Children's Hospital's website.
Clinic Appointment phone: (919) 966-1401
Pediatric GI Clinic
Located in N.C. Children's Hospital and at the N.C. Children's Specialty Clinic in Raleigh
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Pediatric Post Transplant Clinic
N.C. Children's Hospital
Mondays, 12-4:30 p.m.
Pediatric Liver Clinic
N.C. Children's Hospital
- First-time visitors should call and pre-register at (919) 966-1401. Pre-registration ensures that your child has an assigned patient number before clinic and will prevent unnecessary delays.
- Returning patients, please bring your UNC patient card.
- First-time patients should arrive early to secure their UNC patient card.
- Please bring any health insurance information.
- Please bring a copy of any pertinent medical records (or arrange for the physician seen previously to send us the records in advance of your appointment) and any other materials (such as x-rays) that might be important for your child's evaluation.
Programs and Services
The Division of Pediatric GI offers services for a variety of complex issues, including:
- Feeding and Dysphagia Team
- Short Bowel (TPB)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Our pediatric procedures are performed in the Pediatric GI Procedures suite in N.C. Children's Hospital. Children undergoing procedures benefit from the expertise of anesthesiologists. They may be placed under deep sedation or general anesthesia. All children are carefully monitored by the anesthesia service. Patients recover in the pediatric recovery area.
Common procedures performed in the Pediatric GI suite:
- EGD (upper gastrointestinal endoscopy)
- Colonoscopy (lower gastrointestinal endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Foreign body removal from esophagus or stomach
- Dilation of esophageal strictures
- Sclerosis of esophageal varices
- Banding of esophageal varices
We also have the advantage of collaboration with the adult GI center and access to services provided through the GI Procedure Suite in N.C. Memorial Hospital, which is next door on the UNC medical campus.
Common procedures performed in the adult GI suite:
- Anal and esophageal manometry
- pH probe testing
- Hydrogen breath testing (lactose, sucrose)
- Biofeedback with rectal manometry
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP)
- Surgical Procedures
- Liver Transplantation