The mission of the Denny Society is:
1. To support the UNC Pediatric Residency education program.
To achieve this goal, the Society offers financial support as follows:
- The Resident Block Grant- provides AAP membership to 1st and 2nd year residents, monies for the housestaff to attend medical meetings, and for housestaff retreats. This totals $8000/year currently.
- Support of the Evening of Scholarship, a forum for the presentation of research done by housestaff and fellows. Currently $1500/year is given by the Society.
- Resident awards (Teaching Award, Denny Resident Award)-$900.
- The Denny Endowed Lectureship brings a prominent scholar in a pediatric-related field yearly to spend 3 days with the housestaff and fellows. Every third year this lectureship is combined with the Triennial Meeting of the Society. The endowment was provided by Society members in 1994.
- The Society also has been instrumental in the development and funding of the London-Lynch Learning Center.
- Support of the annual NC Children’s Hospital Calendar, a join effort of the Denny Society and the Department of Pediatrics.
- Income for the above-listed projects comes from yearly dues paid by Society members. The Treasurer reports at the Business Meeting of the Society at the Triennial Meeting. Click here to view the budget for the current year.
2. To facilitate communication among members of the Society.
- The Triennial Meeting of the Society is an opportunity for members to return to the University for a 2-3 day educational and social program. This is timed to coincide with the annual Denny Endowed Lectureship.
- The development of this website is an attempt to provide a mechanism by which members can communicate with each other more easily, keep members more aware of what their participation in the Society is accomplishing for the teaching program, and hopefully encourage membership in the Society.
- The Society welcomes contributions in addition to yearly dues to increase its ability to carry out its mission. Checks should be made out to The North Carolina Medical Foundation and “Denny Society” noted on the check.
Please mail to:
Pediatric Education Office
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
CB # 7593
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-7593